Working Hours: 10am-3pm
Contract: 22.5 hours per week; Term Time only
Salary: £12,825pa (actual)
As a Kitchen Assistant, the postholder will be:
- Kitchen assistant to chef, undertaking cooking tasks and kitchen sanitation duties.
- Provide a quality service to young people and staff within the operational guidelines.
- Ensure a high standard of kitchen hygiene is maintained whilst supporting the chef.
The postholder’s Commitment to Diversity will be:
- A member of the Catering Team, to take individual and collective professional responsibility for championing the school’s diversity agenda and proactively implementing initiatives which secure equality of access and outcomes.
- Additionally, to commit to continually developing personal understanding of diversity.
- Assist with food preparations including preparing vegetables, salads and fruit.
- Assist with serving lunch to pupils and staff.
- Accept kitchen deliveries.
- Ensure stock checks and storing/rotating are actioned as required and requested by the Chef.
- Ensure refrigerators and freezers are kept organised and clean.
- Promoting the catering service within the school and participating in special events.
- Support and carry out requests and direction by the Chef.
- Communication with the school’s Chef, administration staff, School Business Manager and Co-Head Teachers
- Maintain statutory requirements regarding food hygiene and health & safety are implemented.
- Ensure kitchen surfaces, sinks, and floor are cleaned and disinfected daily.
- Responsible for loading and managing the dishwasher and for pot washing duties using the hand sink daily.
- Carry out end of day closing checks.
- Monthly deep clean of kitchen equipment.
- Ensure kitchen equipment and kitchen areas are cleaned according to cleaning schedules, whilst ensuring compliance at all times of Health and Safety, Food Hygiene, COSHH and HACCP requirements and legislation.
- Being aware of the school’s responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1984 for the security, accuracy and relevance of personal data held on such systems and ensuring that all administrative and financial processes comply with this.
- Support the Chef in maintaining client records and archive systems, in accordance with the school’s procedure, policy and statutory requirements.
- Being expected to treat all information acquired through your employment, both formally and informally, in strict confidence. There are strict rules and protocols defining employees’ access to and use of the school’s databases.
- Any breach of these rules and protocols will be regarded as subject to disciplinary investigation. There are also internal procedures in place for employees to raise matters of concern regarding such issues as bad practice or mismanagement.
The postholder will work as an effective and collaborative member of the Catering Team as they will:
- Participate in training to be able to demonstrate competence.
- Participate in first aid training as required.
- Champion the professional integrity of the school.
- Support the chef with customer focus, best value and electronic management of processes.
- Actively sharing feedback on school policies and interventions.
- Knowledge of basic food preparation including methods, portions, stock rotation and ordering.
- Ability to read and implement instructions, such as Health and Safety and Food Hygiene regulations. With the ability to use and clean machinery and light equipment.
- Demonstrate a willingness and enthusiasm for training and progression.
- Able to work on own and within a team, and the ability to communicate with all kitchen staff, school staff and pupils.
- Able to train staff in basic kitchen and catering skills.
- Display a commitment to the equalities policies of the school.
- Display and maintain a high standard of personal hygiene.
- Willingness to undertake Basic Food Hygiene and Basic Health and Safety certificates within one year of appointment.
- Work effectively in a busy and hectic environment.
Interviews will be organised on a rolling basis. This ad may be withdrawn as a suitable candidate is identified.
Diversity is a core value of Gesher School. We believe the power of diversity enriches all of us by exposing us to a range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. As such, we actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds to apply for roles at our school.
Gesher School is committed to safeguarding young people and staff. Successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.